What do bed bugs look like?
Bed bugs are approximately 5-6 mm in length before a blood meal, extending about 7mm when fully engorged with blood, are oval and flattened from back to underside with well-developed legs and wings absent. They are also red to brown in colour.
- Eggs are white, approx. 1mm long.
- Eggs can found fastened in cracks and crevices, also rough surfaces. So that adult can conceal themselves. Eggs are known to be found on their host.
- Female lays approx. 1-5 eggs per day until approx. 200 are laid.
- Maximum egg laying occurs in temperature ranging from 21- to 28C
- Eggs hatch in 6-17 days, but incubation can be much longer in cooler conditions.
Signs of Bed Bug Bites
One of the first signs that you may have slept in a bed with bed bugs are the bites you see after you wake up.
However, it is difficult to tell the difference between a bed bug bite and a bite from any other insect when you look at them in isolation to the other signs.
- Bed bug bites are generally small, flat, or raised bumps on the skin. Redness, swelling, and itching commonly occur on these spots.
- Several bites tend to appear in a line or row along an exposed area, such as an arm or leg as a single bed bug may bite more than once in the same area, if disturbed whilst feeding. Bites found in different parts of the body can indicate being bitten by several different bed bugs.
- A small proportion of people can react very badly to their bites and develop a skin rash. The red spots which indicate the location of a bite, may become raised and very itchy over time.
- Bedbugs feed on human blood and are attracted to body heat and CO2 from sleeping humans
- They inject an anaesthetic when they pierce the skin, so the bite can go unnoticed at first.
- Bedbugs can found fastened in cracks and crevices, also rough surfaces, headboards, behind peeling wall paper, Brocken plaster, light switches, under carpets and skirting boards.
- Bedbugs usually vist their host for blood feed just before dawn.
- What are the common signs of bed bugs?
Common signs of bed bugs being present are finding small blood spots on bed sheets, faecal pellets, distinctive smell and of course live insects.
Bed Bug Infestation Signs
- Dark/black stains-on matteress and surrounding areas from bed bug excreta.
- Sweet scent- small blood spots on bedding know as faecal pellets, spot live bed bugs shed their skins.
- Blood spots- on the sheets or mattress.
- Is there any potential harm of having bed bugs?
The harm of bed bugs is customers can be bitten.
What do bed bugs feed on?
Bed bugs feed on human blood.
- What steps can I take against bed bugs?
Have regular pest treatments to your business.
High Risk Bed Bug Businesses
- With such a range of infestation sources it is almost impossible to prevent bed bugs entering your business premises. The best defence for your business is early detection of common bed bug signs.
- A bed bug problem can spread very quickly and if left uncontrolled can put your business in jeopardy of loss of revenue, reputation or even forced closure. The presence of bed bugs also poses a high risk of distressing bites for you and your customers.
Effective Bed Bug Service
- All our treatments are based on the cube approach, which is critical to effective and lasting bed bug treatment. This approach includes treatment to an infested room and inspection of surrounding rooms (and treatment if required).
- As part of our service, we offer a proactive inspection service to reduce future risks. Our recommendation is to inspect all high risk areas of your business, the exact details will be agreed with you.
3,877 total views, 1 views today